We can't take the credit for this recipe, but it's a grand one for both large parties or more intimate gatherings. This delicious blend of quality beef, mushrooms
and rich creamy sauces never fails to delight the tastebuds.
A little history of Beef Stroganoff
Beef Stroganof or Byefstroganov if you want to impress, is reputed to have been invented by the chef to the Russian General, Count Pavel Alexandrovich Stroganov, Beef Stroganoff was first seen at a
cooking competition in St Petersburg in the 1890s. Following the fall of Imperial Russia, beef stroganoff made its way to the US and Europe following the Second World War, via hotels and restaurants
in China. Russian and Chinese immigrants, as well as U.S. servicemen stationed in pre-socialist China, brought several variants of beef stroganoff to the United States and from there onto
|The Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Ingredients for Beef Stroganoff
- 650g fillet beef steak, trimmed and cut into thin slivers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 5 tbsp sunflower oil
- 50g butter
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, finely sliced
- 150g shiitake mushrooms, destalked and finely sliced
- 3 tbsp Cognac
- 3 x 142ml cartons soured cream
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Pinch of paprika
Vegetable accompaniment for Beef Stoganoff:
- Noodles, Rice, or more traditionally beef stroganoff was originally served in Russia with crispy twice-fried potatoes.
How to make your Beef Stroganoff
- Add the onions and gently fry until very soft.
- Add the mushrooms to the onions and fry briskly until tender.
- Season the beef with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Put a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over a high heat.
- Add 3 tbsp oil and when hot, add half the beef.
- Stir-fry briskly until lightly browned.
- Set aside in a bowl, add 2 tbsp more oil to the pan and repeat the process with the remaining beef.
- Add the beef with any juices stir through well and pour over the Cognac. Immediately set alight and shake the pan until the alcohol has burnt itself
- Stir in the soured cream. As soon as it is hot, mix in the lemon juice, season to taste and sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Serve immediately with fluffy white rice or chosen vegetables.